About The Wife Hates Sports
The Wife Hates Sports (TWHS) covers SPORTS and FANTASY sports, while adding in pop culture references and comical takes in the world of marriage and relationships – specifically with a WIFE that HATES sports. Also known as REALITY for a lot of male sports fans (but not all). There is coverage tied to the WIVES that LOVE sports, too.
TWHS is owned and fully maintained by myself, Kevin Paul, a sportswriter and freelancer that also holds down a full-time job as a Scrum Master.
Creative Writing and FOX Sports
My sportswriting adventure began back in 2005 when I participated in the two “Next Great Sportswriter” contests held at FOXSports.com. It landed me in a blogging community where I was able to work more on my craft and become friends with a lot of really great people. KP’s Blog – which no longer exists at FOX Sports – allowed me the freedom to talk sports, find a creative voice and build an audience.
My shtick has always been creativity and putting a unique spin on my work. These angles are what led to legitimate opportunities, including being the first community blogger to make the FOX Sports home page. Eventually, I signed a freelance contract with FOXSports.com.
Accolades Along the Way
Over the duration of my writing adventures, I have accomplished the following:
- Freelance Contracted Writer at FOXSports.com 2008-09
- Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) – Member and Voter since 2009
- U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) – Member and Voter since 2015
- Natural Featured Columnist at BleacherReport.com
- Columnist – First and Big Ten – ChicagoNow.com (Chicago Tribune Media Group)
- Covered College Football live both in the Big Ten and ACC conferences
- Featured on FOXSports.com, AskMen.com, CBSSports.com and BCSFootball.org
- Radio and Podcast Personality
- Formerly a regular guest on the Terry Ford Show (580 KIDO, Boise, ID)
- Formerly a regular guest on the M&M Show (1350 WOYK, York, PA)
- Guest Appearance on Bulldog Sports Radio
- Guest on other miscellaneous radio shows and podcasts
- Finalist for the 2010 Last Fan Standing Contest
- Maintained KP’s Blog at FOXSports.com from 2005-2009
The Wife Hates Sports is Born
With the FOX Sports blogging community disbanded, a number of us went on to create our own sites.
One day, on a road trip to Maryland, I was listening to Baltimore Orioles talk radio. The WIFE – who was the fiancé at the time – jokingly said I was lucky to even have the station on during the trip. That’s when it hit me and I said, “My Wife Hates Sports” – that should be the site idea.
She agreed it was the right idea and a good one at that. At the time, My Wife Hates Sports was blocked as an unused, but taken domain. I instead bought The Wife Hates Sports, which in the end, was better as the more general term and jiving with husbands that often referred to their spouses as “the wife”.
The Wife Hates Sports was born.
Dedicated to those Armchair Quarterbacks whose Wife has the Remote
This was the first (of many) slogans adopted for The Wife Hates Sports. It focused on the wife hating sports and meshed with a lot of pop culture and TV control (or lack thereof).
In the end, with the shift to streaming and less remote time, this no longer made sense. The concept was also way too broad. The WIFE also began to appreciate some of the successes of the site and started providing less obvious material that fit the theme.
You Drink the Kool-Aid, She Drinks the Haterade…
The next slogan was “You Drink the Kool-Aid, She Drinks the Haterade, Let’s Call the Whole Thing a Blog”. This was a spin of the famous song by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. During this time, we expanded on topics like “Why Men Love Sports” and “Why Wives Hate Sports”. There was also an expansion of the Wifetionary, the site’s custom dictionary of unique terms tied to the wives that hate sports.
The Creative Hiatus (and Neurosurgery)
Life throws curveballs. For me, I spent nearly a year ill. Worse, I had no idea what was wrong with me. It was a very scary time. This led to a hospitalization with pneumonia and eventually neurosurgery.
This is my story:
Sports, Marriage and Other Natural Disasters
In 2019, I again shifted the theme to “Sports, Marriage and Other Natural Disasters”, completing a full redesign. It was meant to split out the sports analysis from the marriage and relationship posts. In addition, the “other natural disasters” were all the themes over the course of the site’s lifespan. Natural disasters also tie to my fascination with weather (I was originally a Meteorology major). That, plus it was a creative spin to how the world often jokes about marriage and its challenges.
Here are a few of the most used features at TWHS:
- Better Half: Two takes – one from the WIFE – and you vote on the winner
- Gold Stars: Like a kid received in school, TWHS awards these for achievement in sports
- Pick Your Knows: The TWHS spin on sports predictions – “pick” what you “know”
- Power Rankings: Competes with mainstream sites by using a formula to rank teams
- Sexy Seven: The world loves lists and this isn’t a top ten, but a list of seven
- Throwing Tomatoes: Hate a story in sports? Throw a tomato, like with bad performers in the old days
Present Day: Sports. Fantasy. Reality.
I found that Fantasy Sports and DFS were often my highest and most consistent areas for traffic. It therefore made sense to restructure the theme yet again (isolating Fantasy and DFS work).
I also previously avoided a consistent video presence and would do that no longer. Since, I have built a YouTube channel and added TWHSTV.com to the mix.
The latest theme still ties in sports analysis (SPORTS), while adding in Fantasy and DFS coverage (FANTASY), as well as the WIFE HATES SPORTS angle (REALITY).
It’s a more simplified and targeted concept as compared to my previous themes.
I feel good about the site’s current course and hope you will enjoy it, too.
What the Future Holds
What does the future hold? Who knows, but that’s what makes the future so fun, right? I love writing and wish I had more time to consistently do it. With that in mind:
- COLLABORATION – I’m always open to collaboration pieces.
- Example: Check out the many examples that I have done with SportsChump over the years.
- FREELANCE – If you are looking for a freelance writer, please drop me a line.
- ADVERTISE – Do you have interest in advertising with TWHS? See the contact details below.
One thing is certain – the WIFE will always HATE sports. That’s the reality.
In the meantime, live life and stay creative. Feel free to CONTACT me and THANK YOU for visiting!
All the best,
The Wife Hates Sports
Twitter: @kevinspaul|@TheWifeHates | Instagram: @kevinspaul | Email: email@example.com