Hey… YOU! Do you like NFL Pick ‘Em contests against the spread?
Do you also like free money?
Well, kind sir or madam, this could very well be your lucky day, because KP (The Wife Hates Sports), along with the SportsChump (w/ special guest J-Dubs), are hosting a free-to-enter NFL Pick ‘Em contest.
It’s simple really. We post the lines for every game during the 2018 NFL season and you pick five winners (with confidence points attached).
But wait, isn’t it already Week 2 of the season?
Yes, but don’t fret, as you can still get into the mix, friends.
Need more detail?
For starters, here’s the official (and timely) post by SportsChump prior to the start of the season and here are some rules you need to know:
TWHS-SportsChump NFL Pick ‘Em Rules
- Prize: $100 (I can confirm it won’t be mailed as a bag of pennies)
- Cost to Enter: FREE
- How to Qualify: Make five picks by confidence for at least 10 weeks of the 17-week 2018 NFL season (hence why you can still join)
- How to Submit Picks: Simply post a comment on either the TWHS or SportsChump weekly posts and make your selections prior to the start of the games. We’ll mark you as approved and submit the updated standings on a weekly basis
- How to pick by confidence points: Each week, the SportsChump and/or TWHS post the lines for all NFL games
- You pick five games from that list
- The game you are most confident about gets marked with “five points”, followed by four, three, two and one
- Scoring: Wait, no one told me there would be math…
- If your pick is correct, you get positive points and if incorrect, you get a negative score for it (depending on your confidence grade)
- If for example, your “five point” game is wrong, you get a -5 score
- Example: If your “five point” game is wrong, but your other four games are correct, then… -5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 5 points for the week
- Again, nobody told me there would be math, KP…
- Picking ATS – for THE WIFE (and others that may need the explanation): Here’s the drill on picking games against the spread…
- Example 1:
- From SportsChump’s Week 2 post: IND @ WAS -5.5
- What it means: Indianapolis Colts at Washington Redskins, with the Redskins a 5.5 point favorite
- If you pick the Redskins, you will only get it correct if Washington wins the game by six points or more
- If Washington wins by five points or fewer or Indianapolis wins, then picking the Colts will yield you a victory
- Example 2 from Week 2: HOU @ TEN +2.5
- The “+” simply means the first team listed is the favorite
- Therefore, the Houston Texans are favored by 2.5 points on the road against the Tennessee Titans
- If you pick the Texans, Houston must win by three points or more
- Picking Tennessee will yield winning points if the Titans win or if Houston wins by two points or fewer
- Example 1:
Clear as mud?!
For more examples on picking by confidence and spreads, refer to my Week 2 picks post, which also features some fun lines from Dumb and Dumber, the WIFE’s favorite movie.
Yes, that was 100% sarcasm… but this contest is not.
It’s FREE, so give it a shot… c’mon, I talked the WIFE into doing it.
Enjoy the football season and as always… THANK YOU for visiting THE WIFE HATES SPORTS!