If I had a dollar for every time a person asked me why THE WIFE hates sports, well… I’d probably have about 18 bucks or so – but to those that are seeking the answers to that question, here is a running list, which will be updated throughout the duration of the site.
In addition, I ENCOURAGE THE WIFE that HATES SPORTS to contact TWHS and chime in with additional reasons. If I add your comment to the site, it will be given with a credit.
NOTE: The opinions below are that of THE WIFE and only the wife, that is… unless others get in line to support her reasons. – KP
Why THE WIFE Hates Sports
- The Time Warp Effect: 2 minutes really means 2 HOURS. Don’t say, “There’s only 30 seconds left on the clock, I’ll be right there, honey” – AS IF.
- The Jeckyl & Hyde Effect: Reminder to hubby/boyfriend/partner – you have ZERO control over this game. Meaning: Please stop getting so angry that when a player makes a mistake, a bad call is made, or your team loses. Throwing objects, ranting, or expletives will not alter any of the aforementioned events.
- The inflated egos – Enough said.
- The ridiculous salaries – Our children’s educators earn fractions of pennies compared to the outrageous sums of money thrown at professional sports players – do they really deserve it? Please do consider that some also seem to have the IQ of a grapefruit. Insert any random interview of a football player at a press conference after the game.
- The takeover of my weekend – How about we cap it at 1 game per 4-day period? Not 8 games within 48 hours!
- Baseball deserves it’s own honorable mention – can a game be any more boring? We stand around and pick our noses, chew our gum. Every now and then someone may hit a ball with a stick. Oops, didn’t hit enough balls, time to switch sides! Really? Painful.
- While we’re at it – let’s pick on basketball too. Whether it’s 2 halves or 4 quarters, all you really need are the last 2 minutes of the game to determine the winner. Then I’ll have my weekend back.
- The Fans: OK, not all of the fans, but some team roadies are just downright rude, obnoxious and big fat bullies. I shouldn’t fear for my life while wearing the opposing team’s gear. Aren’t we all just supposed to be one big happy family of sports fanatics?
- Explain this to me – if you truly love the sport but your team doesn’t make the cut, why are we not still watching other teams play the same sport?
- Back to the fans, as I’m clearly on a roll. Why must we jump bandwagons to follow/support only those teams that seem to be winning all the time? For this, I give the hubby a tremendous amount of credit. I mean, come on – the Orioles and Redskins?
Disclaimer: My hatred clearly stems from mainly professional sports. I very much understand the value of sportsmanship and teamwork, and plan to encourage my own children to play sports. – THE WIFE