/, NBA, Writers/LeBron James Announces Which Number He’ll Wear with Cavs

LeBron James Announces Which Number He’ll Wear with Cavs

Another day, another LeBron headline.

Rightfully so, as the most polarizing figure in the NBA these days has been the clear story of the offseason, especially once he announced that he would be returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers for the 2014-15 season.

LeBron James told the world he was “coming home” on July 11th, and there were plenty of opinions on this decision, including via yours truly, here at TWHS.

lebron-james-back-with-cavs

LeBron James has announced which number he’ll wear with the Cavs next season

Since the return was announced, it’s been one story after another, from new teammates like Mike Miller, to cupcake apologies, Kevin Love trade rumors and so on.

One minor tentacle to this never-ending headline was LeBron asking fans which number he should wear for his return to Cleveland.

The original query came through James’ Instagram account back on July 18th, one week after the big reveal.

Today, he announced via the same account that he will be wearing #23 with the Cavs during the 2014-15 season.

Anticlimactic, yes, but nevertheless, a headline in itself.

OK, now that we know that LeBron James will once again don the number 23 in Cleveland, let’s ask a more important question to the basketball fans of the world:

How will LeBron James and the Cavs fare during the 2014-15 season?

How will LeBron James and the Cavs fare during the 2014-15 season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

My current opinion will not be as aggressive as Vegas.  I believe that Cleveland is likely to make a deep run in the Eastern Conference, but my vote currently would be falling short in the Eastern Conference Finals.  I’m not sure who I would have beating Cleveland at this point, but the Cavs still have some youth that needs to mature.  Kyrie Irving will have to adjust to playing with James, and if Andrew Wiggins remains with the Cavs, he’ll need some time to adjust to playing in the NBA.

If a Kevin Love trade happens, now that’s a different story.

Either way, I favor the Western Conference representative to take the title, whether that be the Spurs, Thunder, or another team.

This is a preliminary opinion, as there are still plenty of moves to be made before the season starts.

Feel free to vote and chime in with your own opinion.

KP | @kevinspaul | @TheWifeHates | thewifehatessports.com

Be Sociable, Share!
By | 2017-08-25T17:32:08+00:00 July 27th, 2014|Kevin Paul, NBA, Writers|13 Comments

About the Author:

13 Comments

1. KP August 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM

No argument here, Top.

He’s not Jackie Robinson though, so that number will never be retired throughout the league. Only Jackie deserved something like that.

2. KP July 31, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Nice, REV… classic.

3. KP July 30, 2014 at 7:04 AM

REV–
    I don’t remember hearing that headline. Is that true? I’m guessing you didn’t make that one up.

TOP–
    Well, yeah, there will only be one Jordan.

I need to get to writing some college football soon, gents.

4. tophatal ........... July 30, 2014 at 6:46 AM

KP

There is only one ” 23 ” and it belongs to Jordan , ‘nough said !

5. SportsChump July 30, 2014 at 4:02 AM

This still isn’t is as good as why Ron Artest chose to wear his number 37 with the Lakers. Because it was the number of weeks Thriller stayed number one on the Billboard charts.

6. Darrell Harden July 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

@Admin: In defense of the story (I can’t believe I’m defending an LBJ headline, but … whatever), my beloved Wife would say something similar about most every sports story. I love her anyway.

@Admin/Tophatal: Maybe ESPN will let the Eastern Conference borrow the ACC Wheel of Destiny?

7. admin July 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

OK, TOP, so as of right now, who would you have coming out of the East then? Obviously, I don’t currently have Cleveland, but looking at some of the others….
    – Indiana – Struggled in the second half and lost some pieces to last year’s roster
    – Chicago – Still a question mark and who knows if Rose will ever be healthy for a full season
    – New York – They didn’t have it last year, ‘Melo doesn’t play enough defense
    – Miami – Still have some talent, but losing LeBron is the biggest loss in the NBA, obviously

8. admin July 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Darrell,
    Yeah, I put this one up on Fancred, too… and got a similar reaction from a few people… saying, who the heck cares? Yeah, it’s not the most exciting headline on Earth, but it was something that was discussed for a week. Heck, people would discuss what cereal the guy eats if they could.

9. Darrell Harden July 27, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Just now, in Michigan:

My wife, on hearing the story: “He gets to pick his own number? What the [bleep]?”

Me: “Every player gets to pick his own number.”

Wife: “Oh. Then, who gives a [bleep]?”

#truth

10. Darrell Harden July 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

First off, my pleasure! Glad to pop by, sir!

I can see why you’d have them losing in the Eastern Conference finals. That’s such a Cleveland way to go out, isn’t it?

11. admin July 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Hard to argue that pick right now. Honestly, not sure why I have them losing int he Eastern Conference Finals right now, because if you look at the East, I think it will be tighter this year, but I can’t think of another team that should be a clear favorite over LeBron and the Cavs. I just look at the youth on that team and think they might need a year to gel.

Appreciate you popping by DH!

12. Darrell Harden July 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

The Spurs will defeat the Cavs in the NBA Finals, because Tim Duncan wants to say he defeated both the Miami and Cleveland versions of LeBron. Oh, and because … seriously, is Gregg Popovich going to be part of a warm-and-fuzzy, feel-good story? I think not.

Comments are closed.